Week of Sept 25
- DONE Meet to discuss plans for this week (JW CS VS)
- DONE Send e-mail to SSG informing them of plans to move web servers to a more stable server (JW)
- DONE Add databases and Tomcat to init scripts (CS)
- DONE Test reboot at 5 PM for init scripts (CS JW)
- Integrate ViewVC into Tomcat (or Apache) (VS CS)
- Add URL for ViewVC to URL list below so we don't miss it for testing (VS)
- DONE Copy wiki data to falcon (practice) (VS)
- Test reboot at 5 PM for ViewVC in init scripts (CS VS JW)
- DONE Give Landy heads up on the upcoming DNS changes; see if he anticipates any problems; maybe do this earlier? (CS JW)
- Add init script notes to wiki (CS)
- Migrate wiki data to falcon (sync) (VS)
- DONE Update conf/server.xml and vhosts set up in apache with the real virtual hosts ahead of DNS switchover (JW)
- Initiate DNS switchover (at noon, discuss this time) for:
- www.ssg.uab.edu, services.ssg.uab.edu, test.ssg.uab.edu, what else? (CS)
- DONE www.poweratlas.org, www.poplargenomics.org (JW)
- If all is well, take down Tomcat and other services on deathstar (JW VS CS)
- DONE Test that CVS checkout works properly. (JW)
- DONE While the DNS record is not pointing to falcon yet, you'll need to use something like cvs -d :ext:firstname.lastname@example.org:/home/cvsroot checkout <module name>.
- DONE Test HDBSTAT, power_atlas (JW)
- DONE compile
- DONE run unit tests
- DONE Once we are satisfied that the new repository appears to be working, request that the cvs.ssg.uab.edu DNS record is updated. (CS)
- "Disable" the CVS repository in some way so that users don't mistakenly commit to the older repository while the DNS change propagates to all servers.
- DONE Need to create bmqtl group and users like on deathstar (CS)
- http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ <-- Apache docs
- DONE Copy over (or merge) user 'ssg' home directory (JW)
Scenario #1 - Tomcat on port 80, apache on port 81
- Test that the Tomcat start and stop script works (this is the one that must run as root to bind to port 80).
- First Carlos has to configure apache to run on port 81. (CS)
- Test that bugzilla works on port 81.
- Then run something like: sudo ./bin/Tomcat5.sh start from the tomcat directory.
- Make sure sudo is configured correctly (CS)
Scenario #2 - Apache on port 80, Tomcat on port 8009 connected using jk
- This has many obvious advantages over scenario #1, and should take the same amount of time to set up as #1, but I haven't done it before. Want to go for it?
- Test Tomcat (JW)
- wiki, HDBSTAT web site, power atlas web site, SSG web site redirect, poplar genomics web site
- Need to migrate wiki data (VS)
- Pay particular attention to the manager and hdbstat auth db related items
- Once we are satisfied, request the update of the DNS records for www.ssg.uab.edu and services.ssg.uab.edu. (CS)
- Test the www.ssg.uab.edu redirect (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) (JW)
- Keep the services running on deathstar until DNS switchover happens completely (probably 24-48 hours).
- Backup wiki data directory on deathstar.
- Bring down vqwiki on deathstar.
- Restore backed-up wiki data-dir on falcon
- Edit vqwiki.properties file for vqwiki@falcon
- Edit 'base-context'
- edit 'homeDir'
- Update init scripts (CS)
- Add mysql (both instances) and mckoi to init scripts
- Add tomcat to init scripts
- Turn off monitor while we wait for DNS update to happen? (JW)
- Turn monitor back on later (JW)
- Did Landy say anything about other records under ssg.uab.edu? (CS)
- I just remembered services.ssg.uab.edu, there may be others, please follow up with me.
- Forgot another one, test.ssg.uab.edu.
- Remove /home/home.tgz on falcon? (CS)
Before DNS switchover
The URLs below are configured using an apache + vhosts + jk + tomcat set up using "fake" URLs to simulate the behavior of this system before we switch the real domain names to falcon.
http://test.poweratlas.net/ (surrogate for http://www.poplargenomics.org/)
http://test.poweratlas.org/ (surrogate for http://www.poweratlas.org/)
http://foo.poweratlas.net/mixomatic/ (surrogate for http://services.ssg.uab.edu/mixomatic/)
http://foo.poweratlas.net/vqwiki/ (surrogate for http://services.ssg.uab.edu/vqwiki/)
http://www.poweratlas.net/ (surrogate for http://www.ssg.uab.edu/)
http://www.poweratlas.net/hdbstat/ (surrogate for http://www.ssg.uab.edu/hdbstat/)
After DNS switchover
Apache Preparation Notes
- Minor note: I had assumed I needed to add mod_jk to the APACHE_MODULES environment variable, but when I did, apache complained that it was already loaded.
- Had to comment out the AddModule line as recommended for Apache 2.0
I have modified the /etc/sysconfig/apache2 file to read httpd.conf.local and set the following
Restarting the server
/usr/sbin/apache2ctl start|stop <-- This one appears not to read the sysconfig.
/etc/rc.d/apache2 restart <-- This one appears to read the sysconfig.
Downloaded the mod_jk.so binary into the modules directory, which is what they recommended.
Notes from Carlos
I have created the mod_jk.conf file and added the following into it
The httpd.conf documentation recommended that I not modify the httpd.conf file but instead create my own httpd.conf.local file and include the mod_jk.conf file there. It allows for easier upgrading so I have done that.
The httpd.conf.local files contains